Saturday, March 12, 2011

On prayers and blessings....

The Dalai Lama offered prayers for the Japan's quake and tsunami victims.

The Dalai Lama said, "We must all be grateful that the Japanese government's disaster preparedness measures prevented the death and destruction from being much worse".

That seems to be a very intelligent statement.

The statement said "as a Buddhist monk who daily recites the Heart Sutra, the Dalai Lama felt it would be very good if Japanese Buddhists were to recite the Heart Sutra" for the victims and survivors of the quake and the tsunami."

"Such recitation may not only be helpful for those who have lost their precious lives, but may also help prevent further disasters in the future," the Dalai Lama said.

He said prayers to recite the Heart Sutra 100,000 times were being organised in Dharamsala for this purpose.

Hmmm...so?? What does he mean when he says that reciting the 'Heart Sutra' would be good for the victims and survivors. And it seems such recitations may hep in preventing future disasters. Well he was reciting....right? It did not seem to have helped. And why did he not reveal that 'wisdom' before and prevent this disaster?

I am also reminded of this.... A dear aunt asked me for my permission to 'bless me'....and I did not have the heart to say 'No I don't believe in that BS.' So she kept her hand on my head, closed her eyes and mumbled for a while... But what pained me was to hear from her that she had attended a 'Blessing course' in Bangalore under that Double Sri guy and that she can bless how many ever people she wants.

The moral of the story is that, if you want to appear as if you have contributed something or if you want to delude yourself to believe that you have helped in some way, then PRAY....or BLESS....

4 comments:

anithatrivedi said...

double sri guy... looool...

Balu said...

Once I was inside the British Council Library just browsing the books on the rack, on the other side of the rack there came a middle aged man with two children of around 10 to 12 yrs. The man had a list in his hand. He asked the boys to find the books that are there in the list from the shelves. One who looked elder said what will you give me if we find out. The man said I shall give my blessings. The younger one immediately shouted “Cheating, cheating that’s cheating”. I saw the TOM working then.
I remember Cyrus Broacha in one of his show refuses to call Sri Sri, instead he calls Mr. Mr. because the show was in English.

Geetha said...

^ So Double Sri = Double Mr.

Why does Mr. Mr. appear strange while Sri Sri is ok....

@ anitha...Yeah Anitha...I can't stand that smug look and condescending smile....

Balu said...

I laughed twice

First when I heard a man calls himself with double sri

Second when Cyrus translated.

"I can't stand that smug look and condescending smile...." I said the same thing lastweek to my wife when she was watching this man on some morning TV program. She gave me a scornful look and labelled me arrogant.