Saturday, October 2, 2010

Poetry

Rabindranath Tagore's Gitanjali is matchless for the imagery it creates and for the feelings it evokes. This poem is one of my favorites. To me the image is of a lonely woman peeping out of her hut in a cold dark forest with rains lashing furiously accompanied by thunder and lightning .....

How lyrical it would be in Bengali.....




Art thou abroad on this stormy night
on thy journey of love, my friend?
The sky groans like one in despair.

I have no sleep tonight.
Ever and again I open my door and look out on
the darkness, my friend!

I can see nothing before me.
I wonder where lies thy path!

By what dim shore of the ink-black river,
by what far edge of the frowning forest,
through what mazy depth of gloom art thou threading
thy course to come to me, my friend?

No comments: